Sunday, June 14, 2009

Fanático

Arms flapping!
Feet slapping
on the bleacher seats!
I ask, “Hot dog?” Dad screams, “No!
Now’s not the time to eat!”
Fingers snapping!
Wild clapping!
Wailing shouts of “Eeeeeee!!”
I ask, “Bathroom?” Dad screams, “No!
Now’s not the time to pee!”
Here comes the ball,
I suppose,
It’s utter lunacy!
Dad just jumped up in the air.
He landed on my feet!
While I look around for popcorn
Dad screams, “Please go through!”
But I guess it didn’t
because Dad threw both his shoes!
Now here comes the ball again.
It’s mayhem all around!
Then back to the other end.
I hear a ripping sound.
Dad just tore his shirt in half
and threw it on the ground.
I look to see if there’s a clock
or something else that I can watch,
as Dad jumps on his seat and screams,
“Flamengo if you beat this team
there’s nothing I won’t do!
I’ll get a nose tattoo!
I’ll donate my son to the zoo!”
“Flamengo!” I yell, “You must lose!”
The ball is flying down the field,
a rocket through the sky.
Dad pulls on his hair and squeals.
I roar a battle cry.
A player swings his head with zeal.
I feel a thrill I can’t conceal.
The swinging head and ball collide.
Dad screams, “No! No! No! No! Why!?”
The ball shoots past the goalies hands!
And I am jumping in the stands!
My barefoot, shirtless Dad sits down
muttering, “My boy’s a clown!”
Now the ball is back in play.
I yell, “Go! Go! Go! Go! Go!”
I’ve never seen it kicked that way!
Dad cries, “No! No! No! No! No!”
Everyone is screaming
and the time is running out.
I feel like I am dreaming.
“We’re gonna win!” I shout.
When finally the whistle blows
the giant scoreboard clearly shows
that Flamengo lost the game!
No zoo for me, my life’s the same…
except, now I’m a lifelong fan
of The Corinthians!

No comments:

Post a Comment