Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Greatest Color Ever Eaten


My mom said I made a mess with my spaghetti sauce,
but when I saw that color I could not let it get lost.
So I stuffed some in my pockets for safekeeping in my pants,
and when Mom comes to wash them I’ll tell her that she can’t.
I put some in my hair because of how it matched my shoes,
and in my underwear just because I wanted to.
I have become an artist and my shirt is my palette.
The walls would be my canvas if my mom would allow it.
But she won’t, so I’ll be a face painter instead…
starting with my own face, painted sauce-red.
I painted my brother from the sauce on my plate
as proof that I love him, though I often say, “hate”.
When I used up the sauce and my spaghetti was white,
“More, please,” I said, and my mom said, “Yeah, right.”

No comments:

Post a Comment