Sunday, June 21, 2009

One Day My House


One day my house will be a tree,
one that’s not just tall, but wide
with room to build stairways inside.
Each branch will be a balcony.

Inside the branches I’ll keep things,
my soccer ball and clothes and bed,
all my toys and my dog Fred,
and on each branch a bird that sings.

The birds and I will be good friends.
They’ll try to teach me how to fly.
At night they’ll sing a lullaby,
and wake me up when the night ends.

Birds will bring me eggs for breakfast.
My tree will grow delicious fruits.
Root beer will flow in its roots,
and every sip will be the freshest.

Inside my tree, when it rains
it will sound like steady drumming.
I’ll join in with banjo strumming,
and sing songs about old trains.

I’ll hang a hammock at the top
and in it learn to smoke a pipe.
I’ll eat fruit that’s always ripe
and drink my fresh root beer nonstop.

That’s the house I’ll have one day
when finally I’m out of school
and I’ve outgrown my parents’ rule,
and all I have to do is rest and play…

No comments:

Post a Comment